liturgy, art, and culture

12.30.2009

Christmas Isn't Over!


When I was a kid, I remember our Christmas decorations were always put away just a few days after Christmas. My mother’s birthday is December 28th and it has always been her wish that she not celebrate her day under the lights of Christmas. Mama is not anti-Christmas or anti-Jesus or any thing like that, she simply wants to prevent her birthday from becoming an after thought to the biggest holiday of the year. While her logic is sound, I remember being so disappointed as a kid when I would wake up to a seemingly empty house and reminded that after a six-week build up, Christmas was over.

Now that I am married, I am so happy that I have a wife with a birthday in the middle of summer who loves Christmas and the decorations as much as I do. Christmas was five days ago and we have continued to watch our favorite holiday movies, listen to the music, and enjoy our decorations. This typically goes on in our home until a few days after New Years at which point we reluctantly pack up and wait for next year. Just last night, Allison asked if it would be weird to keep some of the decorations up through winter and after a little thought, I said no.

The corporate consumerism that has become our favorite holiday begins to call us as early as September to get into their definition of the Christmas spirit. This usually consists of our fill of shopping, big crowds, and tons of stress. We are met with sales, jolly music, and sights that are simply irresistible and only add to our excitement as we look forward to December 25th. In all of this, Christmas comes, and simply ends. Every year I stay up until midnight on Christmas day and try to soak up every last bit of Christmas I possibly can by watching movies and listening to music. The second the clock strikes 12am, the movies and music stop and Christmas is over. But its not!

Christmas ends on December 26th for corporate America and those who subscribe to this style of celebrating because at that point, there is no longer anything in it for them. The money has been spent, the presents are opened, its time to stop. But for those of us who truly understand the meaning of the day, Christmas didn’t end at midnight; it was just beginning!

Christ has come, advent is over, the savior is here, let’s celebrate! Why don’t we let the Christmas music play just a bit longer and help remind a world that has forgotten of the hope we have because of the incarnation. Let all the Christmas movies continue to remind us of true love and good will to men. Keep your decorations for just a few more days at let the lights guide you into a better understand of the light of the world. Keep celebrating.

Even as I look at the liturgical calendar I am reminded that historically, Christmas is celebrated until the first Sunday of the New Year, which is appropriately called The 2nd Sunday of Christmas. Even as late as January 6th, the Epiphany of Our Lord gives us reason to continue celebrating as it is attributed to the visitation of the wise men so we should at least leave our nativity scenes on our mantles.

I say all of this not because I am a redneck and too lazy to take down our lights and tree and not just because I am overly sentimental; I just don’t want to see us buy into the corporate lie that Christmas is over. As Christians, our celebration should have only just begun.

In closing, I’m not saying leave your decorations up all year. I too, probably after a few weeks will give in and tell Allison its time to pack up. I am a classy guy and am appalled of Christmas trees in February, which just happens to be the month of my birthday. So while I do not say leave your stuff up all year, maybe wait just a bit longer before moving on this year. Let the truth of the holiday sink it just a little more. Be silly and listen to Christmas music a few days into January. Watch that favorite movie one more time. Remember that Christ has come, and is here, and we can celebrate Christmas in our hearts throughout the year.

I think this great man said it best…

“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The spirits of all three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach.” - Ebenezer Scrooge


Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! Merry 2nd Sunday of Christmas!


ACG

1 comment:

  1. Interesting suggestion...but I like it. Props to you for creative but intentional thinking!

    ReplyDelete